Thursday, November 13, 2008

Prison

Hey all,

Carla and I are heading to Dawson State Prison tomorrow, 11/14/08, in downtown Dallas. We'll be going both Friday and Saturday from 8 to 3 with 900 other volunteers. We are spread out all over the Metroplex and as far away as Mineral Wells and Venus (not the planet).

Please pray for us whenever we come to mind. Our girls are staying with friends until Saturday so we would appreciate it if you would keep them in your prayers also.

I'm trying to think of words to describe what I saw tonight at the Arlington Hilton; the DFW Headquarters for the Bill Glass Weekend of Champions (WOC).

We walked into the lobby and I immediately started seeing people that I haven't seen in two years. Oddly enough, I don't remember all of their names, I just remember them from previous weekends. I hate to use cliches, but it was great to greet them like old friends; checking their name tags and making sure they could see mine.

I saw Lowell Curtis, James Curtis' father. He told me he's been on sixty six weekends. I ran into George; a guy that I met when he was a freshman (first time teammate) here in Dallas at Hutchins State Prison. He was scared but had a "damn the torpedoes" attitude. I was his prayer partner/buddy because he was a freshman. He left me after about five minutes and ended up leading six people to faith (I had nothing to do with it, I just got to pray for him). We saw Lori, Donna, Leesa, Scott, and David; all people we met in Huntsville, TX. I saw Alan Orr, Jack Murphy, Tully Blanchard (yeah, the guy from the Four Horsemen), and Bill Glass.

There were bikers in full leather, bankers in polos, cowboys, moms, dads, grandmas, grandpas, kids from DBU, and LOTS of old men making up for lost time. I smelled cigarette smoke, saw lots of tats and earrings.

We were in a room with 600 Christians singing praise to God the Father. What a weird bunch they were. I felt very much at home.

It's been two+ years since I have done a WOC. I miss it more than I can say. I miss being with people who are totally sold out and willing to give up a weekend to go to prison. Tomorrow, at the banquet, I promise that some old man is going to cry in front of everyone because God has broken his heart. I don't think I've been to a banquet where it didn't happen. The other cool thing is the freshman. Most of them will tell the same story; "I was scared to death. I couldn't believe I let him/her talk me into doing this. I really went just to get him/her to shut up and leave me alone. Then, when I went out on the floor/into the pod/out into the yard, I saw this guy and God told me to go talk to him. I talked with him for a little while and then got to lead him in a pray of salvation. I'm 40 years old and that's the first time I've every done that. I can't believe how good this feels and I can't wait to do it again."

I want you to come with me. Just try it one time. I haven't heard one single person say, "I never should have done that." I'm going to start praying that God would start working on some people's hearts. I will do my best to be the guy that you say, "I just went so he would leave me alone!" I know you're busy. Make it happen.

One thing I can tell you for sure; it's not Prison Break. I have
met very few beautiful people in prison and the prisons usually smell
like an elementary school right after recess... Also, the people that
you meet in prison are real people, not images or caricatures. The
problem is that they don't become real until you meet them; in prison. Come with Carla and me on a WOC.

No comments: