Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Guy Behind Me

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I'm going to anyway. You're going to think I'm really weird and maybe even consider not hanging out with me after this admission, but I hope that doesn't happen. If it does, I guess I'll just have to live with it. I can take it.

Here goes; I go the speed limit. I use my cruise control all the time. That way, I can set it and know that I'm OK. (I'm sure there is a metaphor with the whole cruise control thing, but I'm working another angle.)

In the interest of full disclosure, I did get a speeding ticket about six years ago. I was going from 360 to Broad and I missed the 40 MPH sign. Fortunately, the officer had a smidgen of mercy on me and the ticket was only for 19 miles over. woo hoo... There have also been a few times the last months that I have convinced myself that I needed to speed. Part of the reason I'm writing this is to make sure I don't do that anymore. It really helps to be accountable...

OK, enough of the mea culpa, let me tell you about the guy behind me.

I don't have a problem with people who go faster than me. You know, the guy who does 75+ all the time because he's late to something. All the time. Yes, it can be dangerous, but at least he's honest about it. "I'm going fast, get out of the way!"

As for people who go slower than the limit, I'm not really sure what to think. Tori calls it "My own personal speed limit." Maybe they're scared, talking on the phone, unaware of the speed limit, have a crummy car, etc. I just hope they don't expect me to go that slow...

It's the guy behind me that really drives me crazy. I'll be cruising along, I'll look behind me and there he is, going the speed limit. I could be on a five lane highway and this dude will stay right behind me, not necessarily tailgating, but never changing lanes. But, if I change lanes (which I usually do), he will speed up and start doing the same speed as the traffic. That's when it hits me. I think "Wait, were you only going the speed limit because I was in the way??"

Yeah, it's "Markie is way too judgmental day." Don't even get me started on how the entire freeway suddenly knows exactly what the speed limit is and how fast they're going as soon as someone spots a cop.

No comments: